As you all should know, I really love writing on my blog and communicating with a wide variety of individuals whether they be guide dog handlers, puppy raisers, service dog handlers, instructors, loved ones of an individual with a disability, members of the general public, etc. A month ago, my blog was nominated by another individual with RP for the Liebster Award. Her name is Joy and she blogs on the Double Vision Blog. (Her twin sister also has RP, cool name for the blog huh?) The Liebster Award is awarded by fellow bloggers.
As part of accepting this award, I had to answer the following 11 questions. Here they are 🙂
1. Who has been an influential person in your life?
I don’t remember her name, sad I know, but she was a substitute teacher in the 2nd grade. She taught the class ABC’s in American Sign Language and some basic signs. She was substituting for six weeks while my regular teacher, Ms. Toomay, had a hysterectomy. She will never know how that started me on learning American Sign Language and created the passion that I have today and all the adventures I have been on because of knowing the beautiful language of ASL.
2. Who was your favorite teacher growing up and why?
I can’t pick just one favorite teacher. I have had many and can pick two from elementary school and two from high school. During elementary school, Ms. Toomay, the primary teacher who had to take medical leave, was an amazing teacher. She really taught me to improve my handwriting and really worked with me. She made such a huge impact on my life and I really miss her. Ms. Michaels was the other teacher that really made an impact on me because she came up with all these really really fun and creative ways to teach us and valued each and every one of us. She really cared about us. During high school, Mr. Correa and Mr. Simmons both were very down to earth, crazy intelligent, passionate, fun teachers who really taught us above and beyond what we needed to know. They didn’t only teach to the test or teach the pure academics but they both taught us a lot about the real world and I have had the success I have had because of them.
3. What is your favorite part about blogging?
Being able to interact with other individuals with disabilities, their loved ones, and others in the field by writing, reading, and educating about what I love.
4. What is your least favorite part about blogging?
Sometimes I will get so busy that I won’t be able to blog but I’ll have all these ideas in my mind for long periods of time until I get to write them.
5. Did you have any imaginary friends growing up? If so, who?
I don’t think I did.
6. What’s your favorite author or book?
I don’t know that I have a favorite author or book. I like any book that is about an individual with a disability, if that wasn’t already obvious. Marlee Matlin has written some cool books. 🙂
7. What time of day do you feel most creative?
The evening. I am most definitely a night owl.
8. Favorite quote: The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart. – Helen Keller
9. Do you have any fears or phobias? If so, what? I have a thing with bugs and sharp knives.
10. What is your first memory? I remember playing in my bed that used to be a crib and getting my foot stuck in the side. I also remember being in that same bed and being woken up really late at night/early in the morning to be loaded in the car when I was really young to go on a road trip either to Colorado or to Midland.
11. What do you think of Phil Collins? I have no opinion of Phil Collins.
My Nominations for the Liebster Award:
1. My SB Life
2. Adventures in Low Vision
3. Guide Dog Puppy Raiser
4. Rainie and Me
5. The Lessons of Chi
6. Help on Four Legs
7. Daily Life of A Guide Dog Team
8. Safe & Sound Blog
9. Stories from the Edge of Blindness
10. Views from the Edge
11. Telling Family Tales
I have really loved reading the above blogs. As part of accepting this award, here are your 11 questions:
1. What got you into blogging?
2. Who has been the most inspirational person in your life?
3. How has a specific animal impacted your life?
4. Where is the coolest place in the world you have been?
5. What is your favorite book or movie?
6. How did you find out about my blog?
7. What is your favorite and least favorite thing to do around the house?
8. What are you most talented at?
9. What would you leave in your will for the person you most care about?
10. If you were just given a boat, what would you name it?
11. What is your favorite song and why?